Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Speaking to the Problem

By David Kaptain, Manager, Powell CDC

Years ago I was working with a group to teens who were facing a variety of drug, alcohol, behavioral health and family problems.  We got to talking about what would happen if we could actually speak to a problem, such as Anger, or Addiction or Abuse.  One kid said "If we talk to it [the problem] it might slip up and give us the solution." 

This very insightful comment reflected an approach to dealing with addiction that has been around for a long time - talking about the problem and to the problem as if it is a thinking, planning, not-nice entity.  This process places the problem appropriately where it should be - set far enough away from the person to look at it clearly and objectively, and yet close enough to not ignore it, to address it and deal with it. 

Adults get this concept too - that you can think about and oppose addiction as the cunning, baffling, powerful thing it is. 

Check out this poem written by a man in early recovery and enjoy the way alcohol gets put in it's place!

Good-Bye Alcohol
by Randy
March 2012

You came into my life, a friend to me
All the harm you would do I was yet to see

I accepted you mind, body and soul
When all the time, ruining my life was your goal

When we were together I felt just fine
The trouble you caused was really mine

Possessions and jobs came and went away
You're always by my side, here to stay

Good times, bad times, day or night
Why did you have to start all those fights?

We would go out at night and end up in jail
By the next day I was alone - you bailed

We've been together many years
Most of which brought lots of tears

Problems in my life you helped send away
Only thing was they were back the next day

I know it's time we say good-bye
'cause one thing you taught me well was how to lie

The heartache, the misery, caused by you my friend
I want you to know, our friendship must end

Get out of my mind, my body, my soul
I am ready to set a new goal

With the power of prayer, a group of new friends
Maybe my life will start to mend