Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What are you doing for Fun?

Life in the sober lane can be challenging at first.  It is not uncommon to question if life can even be fun without using.   After all, we have surrounded ourselves with people who use, or have secluded ourselves from the rest of the world so that we could be alone with our addiction. From someone who had panic attacks going into social situations without a drink, to someone who is sober and feels totally at ease nowadays, I'm here to tell you that life is actually more fun without using. Yes.  It is true. Never thought I'd say that but it is true.  There was a learning curve for me. I had to learn how to have fun.  I had to learn to choose good friends who wanted to stay sober and simply have fun and enjoy life on life's terms. I did that by asking other recovering alcoholics to socialize with me.  Together we learned a new way to communicate in the world. The most important thing I have learned along these lines, is that I have had to be my own social director. In other words, I couldn't rely on others to come up with fun ideas.  I create my own fun.  It works if you work it!
Just sayin' Lila