Monday, July 25, 2011

Celebrity Worship?

     Why do so many of us worship celebrities who have drug and alcohol problems?  Do we take the person out of the equation and just worship their position or the attention they get from the public or the money they make?  What is this obsession we all have?  What is this telling us about ourselves?  It's as though the addiction side of the problem is ignored.  A couple of months ago the public couldn't get enough of Charlie Sheen.  Watching his daily demise on national TV was an obcession of the general public. Many of these celebrities have serious drug and alcohol problems that will result in death, as did Amy Winehouse this past weekend.  Rather than envying these starlets, we could be learning from them.  It is like watching a rerun of a horror movie in slow motion. You know where it's headed yet you want to continue to watch.
    The story here is that regular everyday people who have an addiction, like you and me, have the same fate as the famous, if we choose drugs and alcohol over sobriety. The story always ends in the same way. Even the famous are not saved.  I challenge you to listen to the words of Amy Whinehouse's hit "Rehab."  I happen to be the kind of lover of music who only hears the beat and the energy of a song.  Rarely do I pick up on the words of a song when I first hear it. So, it was no surprise that when I really listened to Amy Winehouse's Rehab song I heard something deeper than just the melody of , "No, no, no. I ain't goin' to Rehab." I heard an addicts mind set that was minimizing her addiction.  An addictive mind that was telling her that she could do anything she wanted, just because she could.  I heard her minimize her addiction and the problems it was causing her. The lyrics are autobiographical, describing the protagonist's drinking habits and refusal to enter rehabilitation clinics.  The song was written about Winehouse's refusal to attend an alcohol treatment center after her management team encouraged her to go. "I asked my dad if he thought I needed to go. He said no, but I should give it a try. So I did, for just 15 minutes. I went in said 'hello' and explained that I drink because I am in love and have screwed up the relationship. Then I walked out." Winehouse later changed her management company. In the lyrics Winehouse mentions "Ray" and "Mr Hathaway", in reference to Ray Charles and Donny Hathaway. However, for some time, she replaced "Ray" with "Blake", referring to her ex-husband, Blake Fielder-Civil.
     So, what can we learn from these celebrities? Life is fragile.  It is to be respected as are our bodies. Addiction is no different for the rich than the average Joe.  It will always take you to uncharted nasty waters where, at some point, there is no life preserver that can save you. Rehab is there to help you but it can not do it's job if your mind is shut.  All that is required is that you open up to the possibilities.  That's all it takes.  Be honest.  Be open.  Keep an open mind.  It's worth it.
Just sayin'